Friday, August 24, 2012

That Girl With the Curly Hair...Thirsty Hair




In my last post, I promised to bring you all some information about my new hair regimen.  I have decided to stop using so many commercial products on my hair and go back to an all natural (or mostly natural) hair care routine. 
As I described before, my 3c, 4a, 4b hair was shedding, breaking off and dry; like straw actually.  I was combing out a lot of hair during my detangling sessions. 
When I first went natural 4 years ago, the only products I used on my hair were what I could find around my house.  I mixed my own hair care products and my hair was much more healthy, moisturized, curly and even though I hardly combed it (maybe once or twice a month when I shampooed), there was not much shedding.  It was growing at a rapid pace.  More after the break...
Now, my hair is in dire need of some moisture.  It is thirsty to say the least. 
I started by making a list of the things I wanted to incorporate into my hair care regimen:  coconut oil, shea butter, castor oil, aloe vera juice, essential oils (rosemary and lavender), baking soda and apple cider vinegar, argan oil, clays and that 2 oz packet of rose petal powder that I have had for at least a year.  This seems like a good place to start.
While I was doing my research on coconut oil, I noticed several people mentioning "Cipriana's Love Potion #9".  The base of this love potion is coconut oil…I was intrigued.  I googled it and was directed to the website urbanbushbabes.com.  The recipe was so simple and I had all of the ingredients, so I decided to make it. 
Here is the recipe:
½ cup unrefined cold pressed coconut oil
¼ cup jojoba oil
3 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp castor oil
3 drops rosemary oil
To this recipe I added 2 squirts of argan oil from a 1 oz bottle. 
Melt the coconut oil in a hot water bath.  To the melted coconut oil add the rest of the ingredients.  You can allow this to cool overnight at room temp and it will be good to use the next day, or you could put in the fridge for a few minutes until it hardens and use immediately. 
I have been using this for about month now as a pre-poo, to seal my hair, to oil my scalp or just to add some moisture and scent to my wash n go.  If you are going to use it during the day, a little bit goes a long way.  You do not want coconut oil running down your face by lunchtime! 
Do you use coconut oil as part of your hair care routine?  How?  Please share!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

You will be able to see your post after it is approved.