Monday, June 20, 2011

TRY DIY: Flax Seed Gel

What are flax seeds and why would you want to make a hair gel out of it? 

Flax seeds are full of Omega-3 fatty acids.  These fatty acids are great for the insides of our bodies as well as the outsides.  It is great for taming unruly hair and giving it bounce and shine and curl definition.  It can be used on wet hair right out of the shower or to do twist outs.  I have not tried it on dry hair.  The recipe and my review after the break...
This recipe is for Flax Seed Gel. It is an all natural alternative to using commercially made hair gels with chemicals and other unhealthy things for your hair.

Here is the recipe that I got:

2 Tbsp Flax Seeds (whole not crushed)
1 cup water

Bring water to a boil. Stir the seeds into the water and reduce heat. Simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly, until a gel is formed. Strain through a fine strainer or cheesecloth into a small bottle. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.



GOLDEN OR BROWN FLAX SEED????
I have read some debates of which flax seed works better for this gel, the golden or the brown.  There are arguments for each.  I purchased organic brown flax seed from Vitacost.  You can also purchase the golden flax seed there as well. 


WHAT I HAVE LEARNED FROM MAKING THIS RECIPE:
I have used this recipe a few times and have learned somethings. 

First thing that I learned is that this gel is the perfect consistency when it starts to coat the back of a spoon.  If you boil the flax seeds too long, your gel will be so thick will could cut it. 

Second thing I learned is this mixture is HOT.  Take precautions when making it.   

Third thing I learned is straining this gel can be hard...if you do not have the right tools.  I use a pair of stockings or knee highs to strain the gel.  Just the cheap stockings/knee highs, you do not have to spend a lot of money on them.  I put the knee high partly into a glass jar and pour the hot mixture slowly into it.  A majority of it will run through into the jar, but most of it will stay in the knee high.  You need to find something to strain the gel through the knee high. 
Once you have strained the gel through the knee high you are done!   Let it cool off in the fridge before you use it.  I usually make a batch at night so that it will be ready to go the next morning. 

Just keep in the fridge so that it does not go bad.  Remember, this product does not have any preservatives in it, so I would only make small batches.  I would say that it is only good for 1 week. 

The thicker the gel, the harder the hold, but it will not be a crunchy hold.  It works just as good as commercial hair gels, but without the hair loss, flakies and crunchiness.  Women with curly hair swear by this stuff!  I have to admit that it does give good curl definition. 

MY REVIEW:
I have made this recipe only a handful of times, but I really like this gel.  I was not a big gel user to begin with because I do not like how crunchy it makes my hair feel.  I felt that the flax seed gel was different from store bought hair gels.  It had a slight natural smell that dissipates as soon as it dries.  My curls were well-defined and I did gain a few inches of length.  I cowash my hair each morning, so I do not know how this gel holds up on the 2nd, 3rd or 4th day.  I have read that many people love it for getting 2nd day hair. 

I do find the process to be a bit taxing, but it is worth it in the end.  You can also combine this gel with your shea butter to make a lotion for hair and body.  More on that later this week. 

So, even with all the trial and error it takes to get the final product, it is worth it in the end.  Once you have made this a time or two, I think you will not be able to do without it. 
For more info, google flax seed gel and see what comes up.  You might be very surprised, as I was when I first heard about this. 

If you try this out recipe, let us know how you like it. 

Any products purchased were done so with my own money for my own personal usage.  I am not affiliated with this or any company. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

You will be able to see your post after it is approved.