Friday, May 27, 2011

CENTER OF ATTENTION: Oyin Greg Juice Herbal Leave-in


picture taken from oyinhandmade.com
I recieved Greg Juice in the 4-piece hair care sample pack.  This is the main reason why I purchased the sample pack.  I had been reading good reviews on this product and wanted to try it out.  I decided to try the sample before purchasing a full-sized bottle.  My review after the break....

INGREDIENTS:
purified water infused with horsetail, lavender, nettle, roses & chamomile; organic flax seeds; organic aloe vera juice; vegetable glycerine; essences of lavender, sweet orange & ylang ylang; grapefruit seed extract, citric acid

WHAT IT IS:
Greg Juice is a herbal leave-in that is used to refresh curls and add moisture.  It can also be used for detangling your hair. 

WHAT I LIKED ABOUT IT:
I like the idea of this product.  I had been trying to come up with my own herbal leave-in spritz and was not having any success with it at all.  I saw that this product had many of the same ingredients that I was using for my own failed spritz.  I decided to leave this up to the professionals and give the Greg Juice a chance. 

The smell is somewhat hard to pin point.  I think it smells like some type of soda.  Maybe 7Up or ginger ale???  It has an interesting smell that I really like. 

I had read some reviews that said to dilute the Greg Juice because it can cause stickiness.  Some other people used it straight and had no problems.  I decided to use it straight first before deciding if I needed to dilute it. 

This was going to be a review telling you all about the trouble I had using the Greg juice; how it made my hair sticky and dry and did nothing to enhance my curl pattern and I did not see what the hype was all about.  That is until I watch the Oyin youtube channel and found out where I made my mistake. 
The first time I used Greg Juice, I used it right out of the shower after first cleansing my hair with the Head-to-Toe Honey Wash and conditioning with Honey/Hemp Conditioner.  I spritzed the Greg Juice all over my head and worked it into my hair and left the house.  I was not impressed with the results that I got.  My hair was dry in some places and sticky all over.  I decided to use it the next day and got the same results.  I made sure to use less spray trying to counteract the stickiness, but it did not work. 

Now, this is the part where I eat some humble pie and tell you that I made a mistake.  I was not using the product correctly.  I recently watched an Oyin podcast and realized where I made my mistake.  Since this is a humectant (uses the moisture in the air) and works better in humid/wet weather, the temperatures and air  may have been too cool when I tried this product for the first time.  Besides that, I just was not using the product correctly!  I decided to use this product again this past weekend and I am in love! 

Following the advice I got from the podcast, I did my current hair routine, but then while still in the shower, I squeezed out all the water I could from my hair and spritzed on the Greg Juice.  I made sure to get it all over my hair.  When I was finished, I squeezed the excess liquid from my hair and got out of the shower.  The heat/steam from the shower activates the humectant in Greg Juice to give you wonderfully soft hair with well-defined curl pattern.  I did not have to add anything else to my hair, just the Greg Juice.  My hair was nice and fluffy, soft and curly.  It looked even better as it dried. 

WHAT I DID NOT LIKE ABOUT IT:
What I was going to tell you was that the only thing I did not really like about this product was the stickiness.  Well, after trying it the way that Oyin recommends, I had no problem with stickiness.  I coated my hair with this product, no strand was left untouched, and I had no stickiness whatsoever.   

WOULD I REPURCHASE:
I will be purchase Greg Juice again.  I really like the idea of an all natural, herbal leave-in and it did wonders for my hair.  I think this will become a staple during the warm, humid months. 


This product was purchased with my own money for my own personal usage.  I am not affiliated with this company.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

You will be able to see your post after it is approved.